Monday, July 8, 2013

Vermont Woman (For my children who wanted me to write something about myself.)


Vermont Woman

I am the blue-green edge
Between the cloud and mountain.
The fog rolled from the dark valley,
Pressed against summer hills.
The streams running silver over their stones, bearing
Light and clearness to the smallest grain of color
Between the shadows of slim, quick trout.
The quiver of bird song in afternoon meadows where
Seeded blooms droop in the yellow haze and the fox
Smiles over her shoulder as she moves away,
Weightless and tail straight.
I am people in celebration, music and dance
Under thunder rolling, warming the ground
While warm sheets wash winter grey,
I am plowed land,
Fresh-cut hay in windrows,
Tender corn in clean aisles,
The pear tree’s swarm, a fuzzy, golden cell of the hive.
I am the face of a milkweed flower,
Pregnant with vulva mauve mandalas.
I sleep naked under the rising moon,
Taste grain in the field, warm and nutty,
Stand where the continent slides under the sea,
Salt on my tongue.
I am my grandmother’s hands,
Soft and brown and wrinkled--working hands and holding.
I am the flowers they have grown, the food made, the babies
Held against her, humming and rocking to their fiddle touch.
I am the clean sweat of your labor
And the sigh in your sleep.
The ache in the throat of sorry,
The calm of death after a struggle
And the warmth in the crease of an infant’s neck.
I am the curve of a girl’s cheek,
The tug and red of her menses,
The soft, dark night she walks.
I am the young man’s dreams
And the old man’s memories,
The liquid of tears and desire
And of milk letting from the turgid nipple-
As smooth as sex and warm skin and
The shine in a lover’s eye.
I am a bridge, a white flag of surrender,

The wrinkles in the damp sheets of lovers,
The pun in your dream, your first step,
The magic of dragonflies over the pond,
The gravel in your knee,
The ragged edges of anger
The question behind hatred and fear.
I am the soil of blue slate under the mountain
And the yellow sandstone of lake cliffs.
I taste of grit and strength,
Smell of new bread and death,
Rich for corn and wheat,
Thin for juniper and cedar.
I am the cattle and deer and round woodchuck.
I wear rows of elms like a bone necklace,
I am the sweet in a bud of red clover
And I am its long, noduled roots.
I am the choreography of a mare and her foal.
The dance of the crane.
I am the tang of raspberries
And the bitter of pine in the darkling wood.
The faded periwinkle of the cabbage moth
And the sting of a wasp
The heart-spring of peepers in May
And the insistence of cicadas in August.
I am the up and down rhythm of the French in my grandfather’ voice,
A guide for my daughters, a sister to my friends,
The first woman of my sons
I run through the chambers of your heart
And flow in the rhythm of the vein.
I am the brave in a mother’s good-by smile and in her unshed tears.
I am the wish for you to walk in light,
Holding the hands of one another,
Tasting joy and feeling what there is to feel.

No comments: